Engaging with local communities: University of Exeter establishes a new Community Panel
In 2021 the University of Exeter signed a Civic University Agreement with Exeter City Council, Exeter College, and the Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust, committing to the following calls to action:
- Support the sustainable and inclusive growth of the city
- Deliver a net zero Exeter
- Build a city of aspiration and opportunity
- Support an ambitious culture and tourism offer
- Enhance the health and wellbeing of our citizens
As part of its commitment to these actions, the University has developed a Community Panel to help identify local issues, challenges and opportunities, and to support the development of an annual plan of community engagement. The Panel consists of local representatives as well as student community wardens – students whose role is to keep an eye on community relations and student welfare in the key Exeter wards where there is a high proportion of student housing.
University of Exeter student wardens
The Panel is a way for the University to listen to and engage with the local community and be more responsive to the needs of all social groups. The panel can help to prioritise research, projects and campaigns that respond directly to local needs; suggest new initiatives to promote cohesion between students and the wider community; and consider ways to promote work undertaken as part of the Civic University Agreement to local communities. Discussions in the Panel so far have focused on issues such as how to raise awareness of the climate crisis in local communities, and how to support small businesses to meet Net Zero targets.
The University is also implementing a new Community Fund, offering grants of up to £300 for projects linking students, local residents, community organisations and local agencies. Local community representatives as well as students are invited to apply.
- 26/09/2022 - Lausanne, the first city in Switzerland to join the UNESCO network of learning cities
- 19/09/2022 - EUniverCities Innsbruck meeting: Tackling “Urban Sustainable Development”
- 12/09/2022 - Looking at our city through different eyes: students working with the city of Ghent
- 07/09/2022 - Engaging with local communities: University of Exeter establishes a new Community Panel
- 25/07/2022 - University of Málaga runs a new vocational course for students with special needs
- 18/07/2022 - West University of Timisoara kicks off a new project
- 13/07/2022 - The University of Málaga loans the City of Málaga a building for the Philharmonic Orchestra
- 04/07/2022 - Parma in the Mission 100 climate-neutral and smart cities
- 29/06/2022 - Staying on in Magdeburg after graduation
- 17/06/2022 - The EUniverCities Network meets in Exeter to discuss collaborative approaches to arts and culture
- 06/06/2022 - CaST project publishes a new volume on Engaged Learning
- 25/05/2022 - UMCS Lublin takes action to help Ukrainian refugees – and other updates from Lublin
- 16/05/2022 - Innsbruck supports partner university in Ukraine
- 04/05/2022 - Students at the Comon Make-a-Ton in Ghent come up with innovative healthcare solutions
- 19/04/2022 - The University of Exeter prepares for the launch of a new Community Partnership Hub
- 07/04/2022 - Research for the development of the last mile by public transport in Magdeburg
- 31/03/2022 - University students come up with a game to bring tourism to Málaga’s districts
- 24/03/2022 - The City and University of Málaga work together to excavate the “Cerro del Villar”
- 17/03/2022 - Timisoara and Lublin mobilise to support Ukrainian refugees
- 10/03/2022 - MagdeMINT: Technology and Natural Sciences for Young People
- 03/03/2022 - A student perspective on the EUniverCities meeting in Parma
- 17/02/2022 - Linköping University students coach upper secondary students in Swedish
- 10/02/2022 - Lausanne city and university work together on “Gender and the City”
- 03/02/2022 - News from Lublin
- 01/02/2022 - Innsbruck kicks off new “House of Physics”
- 28/12/2021 - EUniverCities Network Meeting in Parma
- 28/12/2021 - The report of 3 years of Secretariat managed by Parma
- 23/12/2021 - A handbook on strategic city-university partnerships at European scale
- 11/12/2021 - West University of Timisoara – International Conference on Universities Responses to Digitalisation
- 28/11/2021 - Spaces for studying, Parma Città Universitaria and city associations for university students
- 21/11/2021 - The final program of the EUniverCities Meeting in Parma
- 19/11/2021 - University of Malaga and the Malaga City Council sign a new agreement
- 09/11/2021 - From Magdeburg: Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences signs the Global Climate Letter
- 27/10/2021 - Visualisation Center C at Campus Norrköping awarded at international film festival
- 19/10/2021 - New updates from Lublin!
- 13/10/2021 - From Lausanne: “Sauvageons en ville” - Discovering nature in the city in surprising places, questioning the links we have with it and experimenting with ways to make the city wilder.
- 04/10/2021 - Next EUniverCities meeting in Parma: 1-3 December
- 30/09/2021 - Aurora Talks: Perspectives for Europe! Universität Innsbruck in conversation with Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn
- 28/09/2021 - The Company by Gentrepreneur
- 18/09/2021 - Exeter in new £7m consortium to boost nature’s impact on health inequalities
- 06/09/2021 - West University of Timișoara launches a new Artificial Intelligence HUB: “Timișoara Research in Artificial Intelligence Network (TRAIN)”
- 26/07/2021 - Parma University City: here are the results of the research conducted by the University on students
- 21/07/2021 - Some updates from Malaga: an artificial intelligence (AI) initiative and an "Entrepreneurial University"
- 18/07/2021 - Innsbruck reads – again!
- 13/07/2021 - Magdeburg backs Education for Sustainable Development
- 05/07/2021 - Some UPDATES from Lublin!
- 28/06/2021 - Career support programme offers an opportunity for an ever-growing Swedish job-market
- 22/06/2021 - #EUniverCitiesTalks #3
- 19/06/2021 - Award « Prix de la Ville de Lausanne » 2021
- 15/06/2021 - Coordination, Response and Networked Resilience (CORNER) in Trondheim