Ghent Hub helps education to tackle social inequality in learning
The coronavirus crisis has made it painfully clear that education can sometimes be challenging for people in vulnerable situations.
Ghent organisations, academics, entrepreneurs, citizens and policymakers have come together in the Hub ‘Developing in Diversity’ to create solutions for social inequality in education. They brainstorm about new ideas, put those ideas into practice, or ensure that well-functioning initiatives are copied. Together, they tackle concrete challenges.
Inequality in education
Providing all children, young people and adults with equal opportunities to learn and develop poses a major challenge to educators. The coronavirus crisis has once more made this clear. Pupils living in vulnerable home situations are at risk of falling behind (even more). The Ghent University and the City of Ghent bring together experts, field workers and policymakers in a Hub to develop solutions.
In the summer of 2020, they designed a summer school to address learning disadvantages and well-being of young people in vulnerable situations. This year, they are working on a way to prevent school drop-out among unaccompanied foreign minors. The Hub also provides tips to educationalists in a blog. Tricky educational topics such as key transition years, opportunities for practising Dutch, the digital gap and evaluation are discussed here (www.ontwikkelenindiversiteit.be).
In the course of this year, the Hub will define the challenges they will address in the coming trajectories.
Making use of diversity in education
In the coming years, the Hub aims to help Ghentians make innovative use of diversity in education. The Hub will enter into a discussion with as many people as possible to develop innovative and sustainable solutions. In a test phase, the Hub will try out the best ideas that result from these discussions. Scale-up support is possible for successful experiments.
“The hub is a space where innovative ideas can be tested in short-term experiments. We hope that these experiments will have a positive impact on the convictions, vision and policy with regard to diversity,” explains project coordinator Iris Vandevelde.
The Hub is a partnership between ‘Steunpunt Diversiteit & Leren’ (‘Centre for Diversity and Learning’ - Ghent University) and ‘Onderwijscentrum Gent’ (‘Ghent Centre for Educational Services’ - City of Ghent). At the end of 2021, HOGENT, Artevelde University of Applied Sciences and AUGent (Association Ghent University) will also join the initiative.
The blog articles and projects are available on www.ontwikkelenindiversiteit.be.
- 18/09/2021 - Exeter in new £7m consortium to boost nature’s impact on health inequalities
- 18/09/2021 - The Company by Gentrepreneur
- 06/09/2021 - West University of Timișoara launches a new Artificial Intelligence HUB: “Timișoara Research in Artificial Intelligence Network (TRAIN)”
- 26/07/2021 - Parma University City: here are the results of the research conducted by the University on students
- 21/07/2021 - Some updates from Malaga: an artificial intelligence (AI) initiative and an "Entrepreneurial University"
- 18/07/2021 - Innsbruck reads – again!
- 13/07/2021 - Magdeburg backs Education for Sustainable Development
- 05/07/2021 - Some UPDATES from Lublin!
- 28/06/2021 - Career support programme offers an opportunity for an ever-growing Swedish job-market
- 22/06/2021 - #EUniverCitiesTalks #3
- 19/06/2021 - Award « Prix de la Ville de Lausanne » 2021
- 15/06/2021 - Coordination, Response and Networked Resilience (CORNER) in Trondheim
- 03/06/2021 - Ghent Hub helps education to tackle social inequality in learning
- 31/05/2021 - Online Meeting of Timisoara – final program
- 28/05/2021 - #sciencematters - 15th LONG NIGHT OF SCIENCE MAGDEBURG DIGITAL streams 18 hours of live program on three channels
- 27/05/2021 - The University of Exeter extends its business support to the whole region
- 25/05/2021 - WUT2023 for TM2023
- 10/05/2021 - Online Meeting of Timisoara – first draft program
- 08/05/2021 - Malaga: 1st. University campus to face depopulation in rural areas
- 03/05/2021 - Ambassadors of Legality
- 26/04/2021 - SCHAUWERK
- 12/04/2021 - Two new initiatives from Lublin!
- 06/04/2021 - Störningsfri stad - Visualized construction traffic planning for a city development without interference of construction traffic
- 25/03/2021 - Pilot test of pedestrian cameras (bodycam) in the canton of Vaud and in the city of Lausanne.
- 21/03/2021 - Innsbruck as a European Universities hub
- 17/03/2021 - Lublin wins the European Youth Capital 2023 title!
- 11/03/2021 - Green Seeds Ghent – a 3ID-LABS project of Artevelde University of Applied Sciences in cooperation with the City of Ghent
- 05/03/2021 - 3 News stories from Exeter
- 28/02/2021 - Aveiro’s Environment Use Case
- 22/02/2021 - 3rd Lausanne online meeting: Student involvement in city-university collaboration: from ad hoc to a structural approach.
- 21/02/2021 - Culture and European Peace at the center of collaboration between University and City in Parma
- 08/02/2021 - The West University of Timișoara – a landmark of cultural development in the Banat region
- 03/02/2021 - 2020 - One year online with the EUniverCities Network
- 27/01/2021 - Digital Content Hub: a successful example of collaboration by the City of Malaga and the University of Malaga´s Network of Strategic Chairs
- 25/01/2021 - 2nd Lausanne online meeting: Strategic City - University collaborations: how to make them work?
- 12/01/2021 - Greater Magdeburg becomes a model region for intelligent mobility
- 11/01/2021 - City and University of Lausanne together for climate and sustainability
- 27/12/2020 - Lublin: prestigious recognitions for the City and the University
- 22/12/2020 - Autonomous drone flight between Linköping and Norrköping in 2022
- 21/12/2020 - Innsbruck: Emperor-Maximilian-Prize unites
- 09/12/2020 - City of Ghent supports European University Network ENLIGHT coordinated by Ghent University
- 30/11/2020 - City and University of Exeter join forces in multiple projects, with many EUniverCities partners too!
- 23/11/2020 - Aveiro: Municipality and University Empowering Steam Education
- 18/11/2020 - Parma: Municipality, University and students united for non-resident university students
- 17/11/2020 - Lausanne online meeting 17-18 November - Final Program
- 30/10/2020 - The new EUniverCities network website is born
- 12/10/2020 - Lausanne meeting 17-18 November – ONLINE!
- 08/10/2020 - #EUniverCitiesTalks - N. 2
- 30/09/2020 - #EUniverCitiesTalks - N. 1