Greater Magdeburg becomes a model region for intelligent mobility
Scientists at Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg are working intensively to develop the Magdeburg metropolitan area into a model region for intelligent mobility. Together, engineers, computer scientists, environmental psychologists, social scientists, logisticians and network experts are developing and testing intelligent mobility concepts, such as call services for autonomous micromobiles, testing the use of driverless shuttle buses, optimizing the interaction of innovative means of transport with existing infrastructures and conducting acceptance research.
As an example, a passenger transport and logistics traffic network is to be set up by 2022 in Magdeburg as a major city with a large rural catchment area and the associated challenges, which will enable and regulate communication between road users, vehicles and the entire transport infrastructure intelligently and in real time. In addition, the question of how transport and energy networks could be coupled plays a role. To this end, the state of Saxony-Anhalt is funding four projects, among others:
As part of the AuRa - Flexible Use of Autonomous Bicycle Systems for Logistics and Transportation project, an on-call service is to be set up for a fleet of autonomous e-bikes in Magdeburg's city center near the campus, which can be called by app and then navigate autonomously to the user. By 2022, up to 10 autonomous three-wheeled e-bikes are to be developed in such a way that they complement public and individual local transport in an ecologically and economically effective way and are to be used in a bike-sharing system with a bicycle call function in the vicinity of the university campus. Currently, studies are being conducted on how road users interact with the autonomous bicycle in public spaces. In the process, tests were conducted in the mixed reality lab. In the unique 360° simulation environment, traffic situations can be recreated virtually. To make the test as realistic as possible, the urban area of Magdeburg was recreated.
In the GATEmobil - Mobile Galileo Test Bed Saxony-Anhalt project of the University of Magdeburg, mobile test beds are being developed that make it possible to digitally test autonomous mobility applications in real time under real operating conditions. Based on previous studies on communication between vehicles and traffic infrastructures, scientists are working on systems that record traffic information such as traffic jams or road works in real time and forward it to road users or their vehicles. Based on the ongoing project to equip emergency call pillars on highways with sensors for this purpose, mobile test routes are being set up in both urban and rural areas as part of GATEmobil. The focus is on topics such as energy efficiency and CO2 reduction in order to achieve the climate targets of the state of Saxony-Anhalt.
Within the project AS-NaSA - Automated Shuttle Buses - Benefit Analysis Saxony-Anhalt, a study is being funded to investigate the benefits and acceptance of automated shuttle buses in Saxony-Anhalt's public transport system. In order to be able to conduct an analysis based on real driving experiences, the scientists are planning test operations on pilot routes between the Port of Science and the Otto von Guericke University campus in Magdeburg, among other places, starting in 2020.
In the Talk To Me project - Intelligent communication of roadside units with vehicles, the communication of traffic infrastructure, e.g. traffic signals, with vehicles is being monitored. Starting in 2020, radio stations will be installed in urban areas whose signals will be detected by passing vehicles and provide them with information on traffic flow. Adapted driving behavior should ultimately prevent unnecessary acceleration or braking, reducing fuel consumption, pollutant and greenhouse gas emissions.
- 28/12/2021 - EUniverCities Network Meeting in Parma
- 28/12/2021 - The report of 3 years of Secretariat managed by Parma
- 23/12/2021 - A handbook on strategic city-university partnerships at European scale
- 11/12/2021 - West University of Timisoara – International Conference on Universities Responses to Digitalisation
- 28/11/2021 - Spaces for studying, Parma Città Universitaria and city associations for university students
- 21/11/2021 - The final program of the EUniverCities Meeting in Parma
- 19/11/2021 - University of Malaga and the Malaga City Council sign a new agreement
- 09/11/2021 - From Magdeburg: Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences signs the Global Climate Letter
- 27/10/2021 - Visualisation Center C at Campus Norrköping awarded at international film festival
- 19/10/2021 - New updates from Lublin!
- 13/10/2021 - From Lausanne: “Sauvageons en ville” - Discovering nature in the city in surprising places, questioning the links we have with it and experimenting with ways to make the city wilder.
- 04/10/2021 - Next EUniverCities meeting in Parma: 1-3 December
- 30/09/2021 - Aurora Talks: Perspectives for Europe! Universität Innsbruck in conversation with Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn
- 28/09/2021 - The Company by Gentrepreneur
- 18/09/2021 - Exeter in new £7m consortium to boost nature’s impact on health inequalities
- 06/09/2021 - West University of Timișoara launches a new Artificial Intelligence HUB: “Timișoara Research in Artificial Intelligence Network (TRAIN)”
- 26/07/2021 - Parma University City: here are the results of the research conducted by the University on students
- 21/07/2021 - Some updates from Malaga: an artificial intelligence (AI) initiative and an "Entrepreneurial University"
- 18/07/2021 - Innsbruck reads – again!
- 13/07/2021 - Magdeburg backs Education for Sustainable Development
- 05/07/2021 - Some UPDATES from Lublin!
- 28/06/2021 - Career support programme offers an opportunity for an ever-growing Swedish job-market
- 22/06/2021 - #EUniverCitiesTalks #3
- 19/06/2021 - Award « Prix de la Ville de Lausanne » 2021
- 15/06/2021 - Coordination, Response and Networked Resilience (CORNER) in Trondheim
- 03/06/2021 - Ghent Hub helps education to tackle social inequality in learning
- 31/05/2021 - Online Meeting of Timisoara – final program
- 28/05/2021 - #sciencematters - 15th LONG NIGHT OF SCIENCE MAGDEBURG DIGITAL streams 18 hours of live program on three channels
- 27/05/2021 - The University of Exeter extends its business support to the whole region
- 25/05/2021 - WUT2023 for TM2023
- 10/05/2021 - Online Meeting of Timisoara – first draft program
- 08/05/2021 - Malaga: 1st. University campus to face depopulation in rural areas
- 03/05/2021 - Ambassadors of Legality
- 26/04/2021 - SCHAUWERK
- 12/04/2021 - Two new initiatives from Lublin!
- 06/04/2021 - Störningsfri stad - Visualized construction traffic planning for a city development without interference of construction traffic
- 25/03/2021 - Pilot test of pedestrian cameras (bodycam) in the canton of Vaud and in the city of Lausanne.
- 21/03/2021 - Innsbruck as a European Universities hub
- 17/03/2021 - Lublin wins the European Youth Capital 2023 title!
- 11/03/2021 - Green Seeds Ghent – a 3ID-LABS project of Artevelde University of Applied Sciences in cooperation with the City of Ghent
- 05/03/2021 - 3 News stories from Exeter
- 28/02/2021 - Aveiro’s Environment Use Case
- 22/02/2021 - 3rd Lausanne online meeting: Student involvement in city-university collaboration: from ad hoc to a structural approach.
- 21/02/2021 - Culture and European Peace at the center of collaboration between University and City in Parma
- 08/02/2021 - The West University of Timișoara – a landmark of cultural development in the Banat region
- 03/02/2021 - 2020 - One year online with the EUniverCities Network
- 27/01/2021 - Digital Content Hub: a successful example of collaboration by the City of Malaga and the University of Malaga´s Network of Strategic Chairs
- 25/01/2021 - 2nd Lausanne online meeting: Strategic City - University collaborations: how to make them work?
- 12/01/2021 - Greater Magdeburg becomes a model region for intelligent mobility
- 11/01/2021 - City and University of Lausanne together for climate and sustainability