Lublin: prestigious recognitions for the City and the University
Scientists from Lublin in the prestigious ranking of the most influential people of science in the world
15 scientists from UMCS (Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin), 9 from the Medical University, 7 from the Lublin University of Technology and 4 experts from the University of Life Sciences in Lublin have been included in the prestigious ranking of the most influential people of science in the world.
The TOP 2% list includes the names of scientists from around the world whose publications are most often quoted by other authors. The list includes nearly 160,000 scientists, and 726 of them work in Polish research centers.
Among the scientists from UMCS, 5th position in the world in the field of "geography" and 1st in the field of "physical geography" is taken by Mr. Jean Poesen from the Institute of Earth Sciences and Spatial Management UMCS.
Moreover, the UMCS list includes:
• Mr. Wiesław I. Gruszecki (257th position in the "biophysics" field);
• Ms Dorota Kołodyńska (586th position in the "chemical engineering" field);
• Mr. Patryk Oleszczuk (269th position in the "environmental science" field);
• Mr. Jaco Vangronsveld (455th position in the "environmental science" field);
• Mr. Zbigniew Hubicki (726th position in the "chemical engineering" field);
The list includes also the names of other distinguished scientists:
Mr. Emil Chibowski, Mr. Andrzej Dąbrowski, Mr. Mieczysław Korolczuk, Mr. Stefan Sokołowski, Mr. Roman Leboda, Mr. Jerzy Dudek, Mr. Zbigniew Krupa, Mr. Krzysztof Woliński and Ms. Agnieszka Nosal-Wiercińska.
List of scientists from the Medical University of Lublin:
• Mr. Jerzy Bełtowski
• Mr. Waldemar Turski
• Mr. Jarogniew Łuszczki
• Ms. Grażyna Biała
• Ms. Jolanta Szymańska
• Mr. Edward Soczewiński
• Ms. Monika Waksmundzka-Hajnos
• Mr. Tomasz Tuzimski
List of scientists from Lublin University of Technology:
• Mr. Marek Kosmulski
• Mr. Keshra Sangwal
• Mr. Zbigniew Pater
• Mr. Tomasz Sadowski
• Mr. Grzegorz Golewski
• Mr. Waldemar Wójcik
• Mr. Tomasz Kołtunowicz
List of scientists from the University of Life Sciences:
• Ms. Urszula Gawlik-Dziki
• Ms. Marta Kankofer
• Ms. Joanna Matysiak
• Mr. Jacek Gawroński
The TOP 2% ranking is developed by analysts from Stanford University, Elsevier Publishing House and SciTech Strategies.
Final stage of the prestigious title of the European Capital of Youth 2023
At the end of November the City of Lublin presented the final 20-minute presentation to the Selection Committee of the prestigious title of the European Capital of Youth 2023. After more than a year of intensive work, it was the last stage in the decision-making process.
The winner will be announced on the beginning of year 2021. Apart from Lublin, Kazan (Russia) and Baia Mare (Romania) are among the cities trying to become the European Capital of Youth 2023.
The application of the City of Lublin focuses and emphasizes three subject-oriented areas: City for Youth, Youth for the City and Youth and the City.
Due to the current epidemic situation, the event is held entirely online.
The European Youth Capital is a title awarded by the European Youth Forum designed to empower young people, boost youth participation and strengthen European identity. Each year, a new European city is given the chance to showcase its innovative ideas, projects and activities that aim to raise up young voices and bring a new youth perspective to all aspects of city life.
The European Youth Capital title will be awarded for the fifteenth time for 2023, having first been awarded to Rotterdam in 2009.
The participatory budget- an extraordinary project for foreigners at UMCS
The participatory budget is an opportunity for students/staff from abroad to be creative, design projects and manage them to finalization while enriching the academic lives of both national and international students pursuing their studies at UMCS. So far 1 edition of the project took place and right now UMCS has opened the second edition of call for applications.
The main aims of the project are:
- Active involvement of foreigners in the organization and implementation of projects related to activities in the field of "internationalization at home".
- Integration of foreign students, PhD students and UMCS employees with the academic community.
- Increasing the sense of belonging of foreigners to the UMCS community and strengthening their stance related to civil society.
- Long-term involvement of foreigners in the life of the university with the simultaneous opportunity to learn the preferences and needs of members of the UMCS foreign community.
- Emphasizing the role of students, PhD students and employees of foreigners at UMCS.
- Presenting UMCS as a university intensively involved in internationalization.
- Increasing financial resources for the activity and engagement of the UMCS international academic community.
- Selecting the most interesting projects for the implementation of chosen tasks, which are part of the objectives of the Welcome to Poland program and will help the students, PhD students and foreign employees of UMCS.
Five (5) projects which are positively considered by the selection board and obtains the highest number of votes in online voting are selected for funding. Each of them gets the funding up to 7 000 PLN.
In the first edition following projects gained funds for realization:
1 Trainings and workshops for international students at UMCS
2 Days of Ukraine: politics and security: Edition III
4 UMCS INTERCULTURAL COMMUNITY
5 Sports for integration.
The project is financed by the National Agency for Academic Exchange under the program "Welcome to Poland".
Video from the previous edition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfY_eNiUf9Q
- 18/09/2021 - Exeter in new £7m consortium to boost nature’s impact on health inequalities
- 18/09/2021 - The Company by Gentrepreneur
- 06/09/2021 - West University of Timișoara launches a new Artificial Intelligence HUB: “Timișoara Research in Artificial Intelligence Network (TRAIN)”
- 26/07/2021 - Parma University City: here are the results of the research conducted by the University on students
- 21/07/2021 - Some updates from Malaga: an artificial intelligence (AI) initiative and an "Entrepreneurial University"
- 18/07/2021 - Innsbruck reads – again!
- 13/07/2021 - Magdeburg backs Education for Sustainable Development
- 05/07/2021 - Some UPDATES from Lublin!
- 28/06/2021 - Career support programme offers an opportunity for an ever-growing Swedish job-market
- 22/06/2021 - #EUniverCitiesTalks #3
- 19/06/2021 - Award « Prix de la Ville de Lausanne » 2021
- 15/06/2021 - Coordination, Response and Networked Resilience (CORNER) in Trondheim
- 03/06/2021 - Ghent Hub helps education to tackle social inequality in learning
- 31/05/2021 - Online Meeting of Timisoara – final program
- 28/05/2021 - #sciencematters - 15th LONG NIGHT OF SCIENCE MAGDEBURG DIGITAL streams 18 hours of live program on three channels
- 27/05/2021 - The University of Exeter extends its business support to the whole region
- 25/05/2021 - WUT2023 for TM2023
- 10/05/2021 - Online Meeting of Timisoara – first draft program
- 08/05/2021 - Malaga: 1st. University campus to face depopulation in rural areas
- 03/05/2021 - Ambassadors of Legality
- 26/04/2021 - SCHAUWERK
- 12/04/2021 - Two new initiatives from Lublin!
- 06/04/2021 - Störningsfri stad - Visualized construction traffic planning for a city development without interference of construction traffic
- 25/03/2021 - Pilot test of pedestrian cameras (bodycam) in the canton of Vaud and in the city of Lausanne.
- 21/03/2021 - Innsbruck as a European Universities hub
- 17/03/2021 - Lublin wins the European Youth Capital 2023 title!
- 11/03/2021 - Green Seeds Ghent – a 3ID-LABS project of Artevelde University of Applied Sciences in cooperation with the City of Ghent
- 05/03/2021 - 3 News stories from Exeter
- 28/02/2021 - Aveiro’s Environment Use Case
- 22/02/2021 - 3rd Lausanne online meeting: Student involvement in city-university collaboration: from ad hoc to a structural approach.
- 21/02/2021 - Culture and European Peace at the center of collaboration between University and City in Parma
- 08/02/2021 - The West University of Timișoara – a landmark of cultural development in the Banat region
- 03/02/2021 - 2020 - One year online with the EUniverCities Network
- 27/01/2021 - Digital Content Hub: a successful example of collaboration by the City of Malaga and the University of Malaga´s Network of Strategic Chairs
- 25/01/2021 - 2nd Lausanne online meeting: Strategic City - University collaborations: how to make them work?
- 12/01/2021 - Greater Magdeburg becomes a model region for intelligent mobility
- 11/01/2021 - City and University of Lausanne together for climate and sustainability
- 27/12/2020 - Lublin: prestigious recognitions for the City and the University
- 22/12/2020 - Autonomous drone flight between Linköping and Norrköping in 2022
- 21/12/2020 - Innsbruck: Emperor-Maximilian-Prize unites
- 09/12/2020 - City of Ghent supports European University Network ENLIGHT coordinated by Ghent University
- 30/11/2020 - City and University of Exeter join forces in multiple projects, with many EUniverCities partners too!
- 23/11/2020 - Aveiro: Municipality and University Empowering Steam Education
- 18/11/2020 - Parma: Municipality, University and students united for non-resident university students
- 17/11/2020 - Lausanne online meeting 17-18 November - Final Program
- 30/10/2020 - The new EUniverCities network website is born
- 12/10/2020 - Lausanne meeting 17-18 November – ONLINE!
- 08/10/2020 - #EUniverCitiesTalks - N. 2
- 30/09/2020 - #EUniverCitiesTalks - N. 1