Next EUniverCities meeting in Parma: 1-3 December
Theme of the meeting will be: A new student generation: new challenges for city & university
Aims of the network meeting in Parma
The university years are a milestone in every student’s life; beyond knowledge and degrees, the university experience play a key role in shaping the citizens of the future.
In the last ten years students have deeply changed: young generations, the so-called millennials, have different needs and different expectations.
Are universities ready to deal with this change? New flexible curricula and degrees are high on decision making agenda, new digital and physical infrastructure are a “must have” for any University, but that could not be enough.
The challenge regards not only the educational institutions, but affects deeply cities that host university facilities and that every year welcome new students.
The main objective of the meeting will be to reflect on these issues and try to answer to the following questions:
• How have students’ behavior and expectations changed over the last decade
• How can cities and universities deal with these changes?
• Which are their new main challenges?
• What does this imply for the cooperation between cities and university?
• And how this cooperation can help in dealing with these challenges?
• What kind of services and facilities should be designed and developed to meet these new needs and expectations?
• Can external partners help in dealing with this?
We see three key areas in which the challenges play out:
Education: flexible curricula, digitalization, more practise based education and how the city/city stakeholders can play a role here
Student life & well-being: Dealing with growing pressure, stress and & mental issues of students: how can students combine ambition with feeling safe, relaxed, healthy, social and comfortable; How can they find fulfillment in student life, volunteering work, develop themselves in student unions etc.
Housing: Housing needs seem to be changing; dealing with different housing needs for national and international students in very tight & expensive local housing markets.
During the 3 days of the networking event, we would like to share ideas among partners, exchange some good practices, reflect together on these challenges.
After the welcome on the first day, on the second day the meeting will start with a panel of 3 speakers:
1. A student representative from a European student association who will give his point of view on the new needs and expectations of students, especially after COVID-19, for a better integration in the city life
2. A student representative from the University of Parma
3. A student advisor who could talk about how students are dealing with this COVID-19 period... but also about their problems and expectations
Afterwards, the Municipality and the University of Parma will share their experience by presenting the Parma UniverCity project ("Parma Città Universitaria"), created with the aim of making Parma an increasingly university-friendly city by creating a student-friendly community model.
In the afternoon, the Network partners will present their best practices related to the 3 key areas mentioned above: Education, Student Life and Wellness, Housing.
On the third day, in the morning, we will have two parallel workshops, one for partners and one for students.
Students could discuss what they expect from their time as students from the city and university, and look at how those expectations are being met (or not..). Students will begin working prior to the meeting, through online meetings where they can get to know each other and begin discussing the topic.
Partners might discuss some concrete questions about the three key areas.
The two groups will meet in the plenary session for a final discussion, with the goal of producing a common document to share with our decision makers, finalized after the meeting, posted on our website.
- 28/12/2021 - EUniverCities Network Meeting in Parma
- 28/12/2021 - The report of 3 years of Secretariat managed by Parma
- 23/12/2021 - A handbook on strategic city-university partnerships at European scale
- 11/12/2021 - West University of Timisoara – International Conference on Universities Responses to Digitalisation
- 28/11/2021 - Spaces for studying, Parma Città Universitaria and city associations for university students
- 21/11/2021 - The final program of the EUniverCities Meeting in Parma
- 19/11/2021 - University of Malaga and the Malaga City Council sign a new agreement
- 09/11/2021 - From Magdeburg: Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences signs the Global Climate Letter
- 27/10/2021 - Visualisation Center C at Campus Norrköping awarded at international film festival
- 19/10/2021 - New updates from Lublin!
- 13/10/2021 - From Lausanne: “Sauvageons en ville” - Discovering nature in the city in surprising places, questioning the links we have with it and experimenting with ways to make the city wilder.
- 04/10/2021 - Next EUniverCities meeting in Parma: 1-3 December
- 30/09/2021 - Aurora Talks: Perspectives for Europe! Universität Innsbruck in conversation with Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn
- 28/09/2021 - The Company by Gentrepreneur
- 18/09/2021 - Exeter in new £7m consortium to boost nature’s impact on health inequalities
- 06/09/2021 - West University of Timișoara launches a new Artificial Intelligence HUB: “Timișoara Research in Artificial Intelligence Network (TRAIN)”
- 26/07/2021 - Parma University City: here are the results of the research conducted by the University on students
- 21/07/2021 - Some updates from Malaga: an artificial intelligence (AI) initiative and an "Entrepreneurial University"
- 18/07/2021 - Innsbruck reads – again!
- 13/07/2021 - Magdeburg backs Education for Sustainable Development
- 05/07/2021 - Some UPDATES from Lublin!
- 28/06/2021 - Career support programme offers an opportunity for an ever-growing Swedish job-market
- 22/06/2021 - #EUniverCitiesTalks #3
- 19/06/2021 - Award « Prix de la Ville de Lausanne » 2021
- 15/06/2021 - Coordination, Response and Networked Resilience (CORNER) in Trondheim
- 03/06/2021 - Ghent Hub helps education to tackle social inequality in learning
- 31/05/2021 - Online Meeting of Timisoara – final program
- 28/05/2021 - #sciencematters - 15th LONG NIGHT OF SCIENCE MAGDEBURG DIGITAL streams 18 hours of live program on three channels
- 27/05/2021 - The University of Exeter extends its business support to the whole region
- 25/05/2021 - WUT2023 for TM2023
- 10/05/2021 - Online Meeting of Timisoara – first draft program
- 08/05/2021 - Malaga: 1st. University campus to face depopulation in rural areas
- 03/05/2021 - Ambassadors of Legality
- 26/04/2021 - SCHAUWERK
- 12/04/2021 - Two new initiatives from Lublin!
- 06/04/2021 - Störningsfri stad - Visualized construction traffic planning for a city development without interference of construction traffic
- 25/03/2021 - Pilot test of pedestrian cameras (bodycam) in the canton of Vaud and in the city of Lausanne.
- 21/03/2021 - Innsbruck as a European Universities hub
- 17/03/2021 - Lublin wins the European Youth Capital 2023 title!
- 11/03/2021 - Green Seeds Ghent – a 3ID-LABS project of Artevelde University of Applied Sciences in cooperation with the City of Ghent
- 05/03/2021 - 3 News stories from Exeter
- 28/02/2021 - Aveiro’s Environment Use Case
- 22/02/2021 - 3rd Lausanne online meeting: Student involvement in city-university collaboration: from ad hoc to a structural approach.
- 21/02/2021 - Culture and European Peace at the center of collaboration between University and City in Parma
- 08/02/2021 - The West University of Timișoara – a landmark of cultural development in the Banat region
- 03/02/2021 - 2020 - One year online with the EUniverCities Network
- 27/01/2021 - Digital Content Hub: a successful example of collaboration by the City of Malaga and the University of Malaga´s Network of Strategic Chairs
- 25/01/2021 - 2nd Lausanne online meeting: Strategic City - University collaborations: how to make them work?
- 12/01/2021 - Greater Magdeburg becomes a model region for intelligent mobility
- 11/01/2021 - City and University of Lausanne together for climate and sustainability