Online Meeting of Timisoara – final program
The next online meeting of the Network will be held in Timisoara on 3 and 4 June 2021.
The topic of this workshop will be: Using University research to support the local government decision-making process
The added value brought by universities to the local communities is largely accepted. Nowadays, in addition to their educational role, the research and innovation potential of universities has become crucial for the local and regional development. Academic research is of vital importance in providing stakeholders up-to-date information to deal with the current challenges and socio-economic disturbing factors (such as new technologies, digitalisation, artificial intelligence, demographic changes and now the current pandemic crisis). Thus, it is extremely important to capitalize on research expertise and capacity of academics to provide valuable diagnoses and forecasts in the most diverse fields, thereby contributing to increasing the quality of the decision-making process.
As such, West University of Timisoara and the City of Timisoara invite the Network to a debate about the role of Universities in supporting the local government decision making process.
The West University of Timisoara has a long experience in working with the local administration, actively participating in major socio-economic projects, developing strategic partnerships, and working closely with economic, social, and administrative actors in the region. It supports decision-makers providing them insights from regularly surveys (quality of public transportation, environment, infrastructure etc.), labour market trend analysis (sectoral development and smart specialisations), expertise for various cultural projects (Timisoara Capital of Culture, including expertise for setting up the local and regional cultural development strategy), urban governance (suburbanization and metropolitan development of the city). Students also bring their contributions being encouraged to explore within their research activities (dissertations) problems of interest for local decision makers.
Day 1 - PROGRAM
17.00 - Welcoming and introducing the venue and the moderator
Willem van Winden - EUC expert
Ciprian Panzaru – The West University of Timisoara
17.10 - (Virtual) Welcome in Timisoara
Representatives of the West University of Timisoara and of the Municipality of Timisoara
Mr. Dominic Samuel Fritz - Mayor of Timisoara
Prof. Marilen Gabriel Pirtea - Rector of the West University of Timisoara
17.30 - Welcoming Remarks and news from the Network Secretariat
Gabriele Agnetti - Municipality of Parma
Alessandro Bernazzoli - University of Parma
17.35 - Timisoara – virtual tour and concert
17.50 - Keynote speech : The role of Universities in planning decision making at the local level
Francesco Ferrante, vice-rector responsible with Technology Transfer and Job Placement at The University of Cassino and Southern Lazio, Cassino, Italy, scientific director of the University Laboratory Imprendilab, and Professor of Economics at the Luiss Guido Carli University Rome, Italy.
18.10 – Q&A
18.30 – See you tomorrow!
Day 2 - Online Workshop PROGRAM
11.00 - The role of West University of Timisoara in planning decision making at the local level – good practices models from Timisoara
Simona Fit - Councillor for Culture and Education, Timisoara Municipality
Catalina Ancuta - Assoc. prof. PhD, The West University of Timisoara
11.30 - How Universities support the local government decision-making process - good practices models from EUniverCities Partners
11.30 - CASE 1 – Exeter - Marchmont Employment and Skills Observatory - an example of a labour market observatory/research centre housed in a University that informs policy at local and regional levels. Includes a look at a new Data Analytics Skills Escalator model.
Andrew Dean – Head of Regional Impact within IIB , University of Exeter.
11.45 - CASE 2 – Aveiro - Transformational research - the University of Aveiro and regional impact - examples of research projects with an impact on local decision making: territorial innovation and strategic planning; ecological footprint and local decision making.
Filipe Teles – Pro-rector for Regional Development and Urban , University of Aveiro.
11.55 - Q&A
12.00 - CASE 3 – Linköping and Norrköping - Centre for local government studies - The research centre can be seen as a link between high quality research and the local practice. The research focuses on questions and challenges that are of strategic importance for municipalities through an interactive and collaborative approach where the meeting between academia and practice is at the very core.
Sara Gustafsson – Head of Centre for local government studies at the department of Culture and society, University of Linköping.
12.10 – Q&A
PARALLEL GROUP WORKSHOPS
12.15 – Parallel Workshops – 3 groups
Group discussion about the topic with the use of the Mural application - https://www.mural.com
(use of Chrome is strongly suggested)
Group 1 – Moderator : Bogdan Nadolu - Assoc. prof. PhD, The West University of Timisoara
Group 2 – Moderator : Willem van Winden – EUniverCities Network expert
Group 3 – Moderator : Gabriele Agnetti, EUniverCities Secretariat - Municipality of Parma
12.40 Workshop conclusions
Group moderators will briefly report the results of each workshop
12.55 End of the meeting
Willem van Winden - EUC expert
Gabriele Agnetti and Alessandro Bernazzoli - EUniverCities Secretariat
- 18/09/2021 - Exeter in new £7m consortium to boost nature’s impact on health inequalities
- 18/09/2021 - The Company by Gentrepreneur
- 06/09/2021 - West University of Timișoara launches a new Artificial Intelligence HUB: “Timișoara Research in Artificial Intelligence Network (TRAIN)”
- 26/07/2021 - Parma University City: here are the results of the research conducted by the University on students
- 21/07/2021 - Some updates from Malaga: an artificial intelligence (AI) initiative and an "Entrepreneurial University"
- 18/07/2021 - Innsbruck reads – again!
- 13/07/2021 - Magdeburg backs Education for Sustainable Development
- 05/07/2021 - Some UPDATES from Lublin!
- 28/06/2021 - Career support programme offers an opportunity for an ever-growing Swedish job-market
- 22/06/2021 - #EUniverCitiesTalks #3
- 19/06/2021 - Award « Prix de la Ville de Lausanne » 2021
- 15/06/2021 - Coordination, Response and Networked Resilience (CORNER) in Trondheim
- 03/06/2021 - Ghent Hub helps education to tackle social inequality in learning
- 31/05/2021 - Online Meeting of Timisoara – final program
- 28/05/2021 - #sciencematters - 15th LONG NIGHT OF SCIENCE MAGDEBURG DIGITAL streams 18 hours of live program on three channels
- 27/05/2021 - The University of Exeter extends its business support to the whole region
- 25/05/2021 - WUT2023 for TM2023
- 10/05/2021 - Online Meeting of Timisoara – first draft program
- 08/05/2021 - Malaga: 1st. University campus to face depopulation in rural areas
- 03/05/2021 - Ambassadors of Legality
- 26/04/2021 - SCHAUWERK
- 12/04/2021 - Two new initiatives from Lublin!
- 06/04/2021 - Störningsfri stad - Visualized construction traffic planning for a city development without interference of construction traffic
- 25/03/2021 - Pilot test of pedestrian cameras (bodycam) in the canton of Vaud and in the city of Lausanne.
- 21/03/2021 - Innsbruck as a European Universities hub
- 17/03/2021 - Lublin wins the European Youth Capital 2023 title!
- 11/03/2021 - Green Seeds Ghent – a 3ID-LABS project of Artevelde University of Applied Sciences in cooperation with the City of Ghent
- 05/03/2021 - 3 News stories from Exeter
- 28/02/2021 - Aveiro’s Environment Use Case
- 22/02/2021 - 3rd Lausanne online meeting: Student involvement in city-university collaboration: from ad hoc to a structural approach.
- 21/02/2021 - Culture and European Peace at the center of collaboration between University and City in Parma
- 08/02/2021 - The West University of Timișoara – a landmark of cultural development in the Banat region
- 03/02/2021 - 2020 - One year online with the EUniverCities Network
- 27/01/2021 - Digital Content Hub: a successful example of collaboration by the City of Malaga and the University of Malaga´s Network of Strategic Chairs
- 25/01/2021 - 2nd Lausanne online meeting: Strategic City - University collaborations: how to make them work?
- 12/01/2021 - Greater Magdeburg becomes a model region for intelligent mobility
- 11/01/2021 - City and University of Lausanne together for climate and sustainability
- 27/12/2020 - Lublin: prestigious recognitions for the City and the University
- 22/12/2020 - Autonomous drone flight between Linköping and Norrköping in 2022
- 21/12/2020 - Innsbruck: Emperor-Maximilian-Prize unites
- 09/12/2020 - City of Ghent supports European University Network ENLIGHT coordinated by Ghent University
- 30/11/2020 - City and University of Exeter join forces in multiple projects, with many EUniverCities partners too!
- 23/11/2020 - Aveiro: Municipality and University Empowering Steam Education
- 18/11/2020 - Parma: Municipality, University and students united for non-resident university students
- 17/11/2020 - Lausanne online meeting 17-18 November - Final Program
- 30/10/2020 - The new EUniverCities network website is born
- 12/10/2020 - Lausanne meeting 17-18 November – ONLINE!
- 08/10/2020 - #EUniverCitiesTalks - N. 2
- 30/09/2020 - #EUniverCitiesTalks - N. 1