Pilot test of pedestrian cameras (bodycam) in the canton of Vaud and in the city of Lausanne.
Since 2018, the City of Lausanne and the University of Lausanne have launched an annual call for projects within the framework of the Interact platform, with an annual contribution of CHF 40,000 (€ 36’000) divided between several projects. The projects funded are carried out jointly by members of the two institutions and run for one calendar year.
Although the amounts granted are relatively modest, they can lead to concrete results that exceed expectations and evolve, as shown by the project "Pilot test of bodycams in the canton of Vaud and in the city of Lausanne", carried out by a researcher from UNIL in conjunction with the Lausanne Police. They were supported by Interact in 2019 to conduct a study on the implementation of bodycams on Lausanne police officers, and the final report was published in early 2021.
The pilot test was conducted over seven months with some twenty police officers from the canton of Vaud and the city of Lausanne. The UNIL researcher accompanied the project from a scientific point of view. The general objective was to complete the existing knowledge on the stakes and repercussions of the introduction of this technology in police work, and was broken down into three areas:
- De-escalation and prevention of violence against police officers
- Indisputable recording of facts and evidential value
- Evolution of the relationship between the police and the public
The results of the study are positive and have shown, among other things, that the bodycam contributes to the de-escalation of violence and the calming of physical or verbal aggression, without causing any major change in the daily work of police officers, nor overloading their administrative work. On the basis of these convincing results, recommendations were made for a broader deployment scenario to be studied by regional and local police forces.
The author of the study also includes sociological reflections on the place of information technology and the value of digital data in police work. Indeed, bodycams raise intense questions about the evolution of police/population relations and the meaning of the job for police officers.
This project is an exemplary case for Interact, where both the researcher and the administration benefit from the project: the researcher by contributing to the development of scientific knowledge on his subject and by obtaining privileged access to the field, while the police have gained an evaluation report that will enable them to make scientifically based decisions. Furthermore, it shows that a relatively small amount of money can have a triggering effect and help to start a project that can grow considerably in scope.
- 26/07/2021 - Parma University City: here are the results of the research conducted by the University on students
- 26/07/2021 - West University of Timișoara launches a new Artificial Intelligence HUB: “Timișoara Research in Artificial Intelligence Network (TRAIN)”
- 21/07/2021 - Some updates from Malaga: an artificial intelligence (AI) initiative and an "Entrepreneurial University"
- 18/07/2021 - Innsbruck reads – again!
- 13/07/2021 - Magdeburg backs Education for Sustainable Development
- 05/07/2021 - Some UPDATES from Lublin!
- 28/06/2021 - Career support programme offers an opportunity for an ever-growing Swedish job-market
- 22/06/2021 - #EUniverCitiesTalks #3
- 19/06/2021 - Award « Prix de la Ville de Lausanne » 2021
- 15/06/2021 - Coordination, Response and Networked Resilience (CORNER) in Trondheim
- 03/06/2021 - Ghent Hub helps education to tackle social inequality in learning
- 31/05/2021 - Online Meeting of Timisoara – final program
- 28/05/2021 - #sciencematters - 15th LONG NIGHT OF SCIENCE MAGDEBURG DIGITAL streams 18 hours of live program on three channels
- 27/05/2021 - The University of Exeter extends its business support to the whole region
- 25/05/2021 - WUT2023 for TM2023
- 10/05/2021 - Online Meeting of Timisoara – first draft program
- 08/05/2021 - Malaga: 1st. University campus to face depopulation in rural areas
- 03/05/2021 - Ambassadors of Legality
- 26/04/2021 - SCHAUWERK
- 12/04/2021 - Two new initiatives from Lublin!
- 06/04/2021 - Störningsfri stad - Visualized construction traffic planning for a city development without interference of construction traffic
- 25/03/2021 - Pilot test of pedestrian cameras (bodycam) in the canton of Vaud and in the city of Lausanne.
- 21/03/2021 - Innsbruck as a European Universities hub
- 17/03/2021 - Lublin wins the European Youth Capital 2023 title!
- 11/03/2021 - Green Seeds Ghent – a 3ID-LABS project of Artevelde University of Applied Sciences in cooperation with the City of Ghent
- 05/03/2021 - 3 News stories from Exeter
- 28/02/2021 - Aveiro’s Environment Use Case
- 22/02/2021 - 3rd Lausanne online meeting: Student involvement in city-university collaboration: from ad hoc to a structural approach.
- 21/02/2021 - Culture and European Peace at the center of collaboration between University and City in Parma
- 08/02/2021 - The West University of Timișoara – a landmark of cultural development in the Banat region
- 03/02/2021 - 2020 - One year online with the EUniverCities Network
- 27/01/2021 - Digital Content Hub: a successful example of collaboration by the City of Malaga and the University of Malaga´s Network of Strategic Chairs
- 25/01/2021 - 2nd Lausanne online meeting: Strategic City - University collaborations: how to make them work?
- 12/01/2021 - Greater Magdeburg becomes a model region for intelligent mobility
- 11/01/2021 - City and University of Lausanne together for climate and sustainability
- 27/12/2020 - Lublin: prestigious recognitions for the City and the University
- 22/12/2020 - Autonomous drone flight between Linköping and Norrköping in 2022
- 21/12/2020 - Innsbruck: Emperor-Maximilian-Prize unites
- 09/12/2020 - City of Ghent supports European University Network ENLIGHT coordinated by Ghent University
- 30/11/2020 - City and University of Exeter join forces in multiple projects, with many EUniverCities partners too!
- 23/11/2020 - Aveiro: Municipality and University Empowering Steam Education
- 18/11/2020 - Parma: Municipality, University and students united for non-resident university students
- 17/11/2020 - Lausanne online meeting 17-18 November - Final Program
- 30/10/2020 - The new EUniverCities network website is born
- 12/10/2020 - Lausanne meeting 17-18 November – ONLINE!
- 08/10/2020 - #EUniverCitiesTalks - N. 2
- 30/09/2020 - #EUniverCitiesTalks - N. 1