Researching and designing memory
A centenary international conference
100 years ago, at the beginning of October 1922, leading exponents of national fascism led a violent expedition in Bolzano with the aim of removing the mayor, Julius Perathoner. He was one of the most important exponents of the Liberal Party in Tyrol and the last mayor of German ethnicity of the City of Bozen-Bolzano from 1895 to 1922. The march on Bozen-Bolzano was an extremely serious episode, which occurred only a few weeks before the march on Rome.
To mark the centenary of those events, the City of Bozen-Bolzano, in collaboration with the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, recently organised an international conference that, starting from the local case, reflected more generally on various aspects of Italian fascism. Among other things, the event showcased work of historical contextualisation carried out in Bolzano on various artefacts from the fascist era, as well as shedding light on the concentration camp that was operated in the city during the Nazi occupation.
Among the speakers were Wolfgang Schieder, Andrea Di Michele, Stefan Lechner, Filippo Focardi, John Foot, Lucia Ceci, Marta Verginella, Christoph Cornelissen, Anna Maria Vinci, Valeria Deplano, Mirco Carrattieri and Andrea Baravelli.
Further information and documentation can be found at: https://www.unibz.it/it/events/140761
Photo: Wolfgang Schieder's keynote address, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano.
Work in progress
An important collaboration between the City of Bozen-Bolzano and the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano is underway, in order to design a monument dedicated to the Weiße Rose (White Rose), a student group in Munich that was active in the non-violent resistance movement in Nazi Germany, especially in distributing flyers against the war and the dictatorship of Adolf Hitler. Many of the White Rose activists were sentenced to death or imprisonment. Hans and Sophie Scholl, as well as Christoph Probst, were executed by guillotine four days after their arrest, on 22 February 1943.
The project is directed by the Faculty of Design, and takes the form of a student workshop guided by the Italian artist Matilde Cassani. The results of the project will be presented in February 2023.
Photo: memorial dedicated to the "Geschwister Scholl" in Bozen-Bolzano.
- 23/01/2023 - Lausanne announces Interact projects for 2023
- 17/01/2023 - Comon: Ghent's urban living lab
- 11/01/2023 - A student's experience of the EUniverCities meeting on sustainable urban development in Innsbruck
- 14/12/2022 - Exeter City consults the university community on its development plans
- 07/12/2022 - Researching and designing memory
- 23/11/2022 - City and university in tandem on the road to sustainability
- 18/11/2022 - Labour market changes and midlife workers in focus at West University of Timisoara
- 07/11/2022 - "Knowledge Bites": the research of the University of Parma meets the city
- 24/10/2022 - The University of Magdeburg becomes a "European University"
- 12/10/2022 - News from UMCS and the City of Lublin
- 03/10/2022 - Linköping University's "Pillow Project" recycling initiative is a hit
- 26/09/2022 - Lausanne, the first city in Switzerland to join the UNESCO network of learning cities
- 19/09/2022 - EUniverCities Innsbruck meeting: Tackling “Urban Sustainable Development”
- 12/09/2022 - Looking at our city through different eyes: students working with the city of Ghent
- 07/09/2022 - Engaging with local communities: University of Exeter establishes a new Community Panel
- 25/07/2022 - University of Málaga runs a new vocational course for students with special needs
- 18/07/2022 - West University of Timisoara kicks off a new project
- 13/07/2022 - The University of Málaga loans the City of Málaga a building for the Philharmonic Orchestra
- 04/07/2022 - Parma in the Mission 100 climate-neutral and smart cities
- 29/06/2022 - Staying on in Magdeburg after graduation
- 17/06/2022 - The EUniverCities Network meets in Exeter to discuss collaborative approaches to arts and culture
- 06/06/2022 - CaST project publishes a new volume on Engaged Learning
- 25/05/2022 - UMCS Lublin takes action to help Ukrainian refugees – and other updates from Lublin
- 16/05/2022 - Innsbruck supports partner university in Ukraine
- 04/05/2022 - Students at the Comon Make-a-Ton in Ghent come up with innovative healthcare solutions
- 19/04/2022 - The University of Exeter prepares for the launch of a new Community Partnership Hub
- 07/04/2022 - Research for the development of the last mile by public transport in Magdeburg
- 31/03/2022 - University students come up with a game to bring tourism to Málaga’s districts
- 24/03/2022 - The City and University of Málaga work together to excavate the “Cerro del Villar”
- 17/03/2022 - Timisoara and Lublin mobilise to support Ukrainian refugees
- 10/03/2022 - MagdeMINT: Technology and Natural Sciences for Young People
- 03/03/2022 - A student perspective on the EUniverCities meeting in Parma
- 17/02/2022 - Linköping University students coach upper secondary students in Swedish
- 10/02/2022 - Lausanne city and university work together on “Gender and the City”
- 03/02/2022 - News from Lublin
- 01/02/2022 - Innsbruck kicks off new “House of Physics”
- 28/12/2021 - EUniverCities Network Meeting in Parma
- 28/12/2021 - The report of 3 years of Secretariat managed by Parma
- 23/12/2021 - A handbook on strategic city-university partnerships at European scale
- 11/12/2021 - West University of Timisoara – International Conference on Universities Responses to Digitalisation
- 28/11/2021 - Spaces for studying, Parma Città Universitaria and city associations for university students
- 21/11/2021 - The final program of the EUniverCities Meeting in Parma
- 19/11/2021 - University of Malaga and the Malaga City Council sign a new agreement
- 09/11/2021 - From Magdeburg: Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences signs the Global Climate Letter
- 27/10/2021 - Visualisation Center C at Campus Norrköping awarded at international film festival
- 19/10/2021 - New updates from Lublin!
- 13/10/2021 - From Lausanne: “Sauvageons en ville” - Discovering nature in the city in surprising places, questioning the links we have with it and experimenting with ways to make the city wilder.
- 04/10/2021 - Next EUniverCities meeting in Parma: 1-3 December
- 30/09/2021 - Aurora Talks: Perspectives for Europe! Universität Innsbruck in conversation with Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn
- 28/09/2021 - The Company by Gentrepreneur