Visualisation Center C at Campus Norrköping awarded at international film festival
Text: Ulrik Svedin, Linköpings University
Visualisation Center C at Campus Norrköping won the prize for best 3D film at the international film festival Fulldome Festival in Brno, Czech Republic, on July 30, 2021. The film "Making magic 3D - A visual effects story" is the first in a series of five films for dome theaters, which is already gaining worldwide attention.
First comes a big water wave and sweeps over a city, as a 3D effect of course. And the audience is greeted by a virtual splash of water on their faces. Followed by easily accessible descriptions of all the mathematics, technology and programming behind special effects on film. And everything is made with different special effects that are intended to be shown on dome theaters - in 3D and 360 - like the one at Visualisation Center C in Norrköping.
"It is a spectacular experience for the viewer. And it's great that the first in a series of productions gets this attention. It will be important for us in this rather narrow industry, said Anders Ynnerman, professor and director of Visualisation Center C"."This is the first time that we really push for one of Norrköping's productions internationally, where we from the Visualisation Center produce dome films that will be licensed for screening all over the world".
Professor Anders Ynnerman, Photo: Thor Balkhed, Linköpings University
The production Making Magic is one of five theme films made within the framework of the project Wisdome, Wallenberg Immersive Science Communication Dome. The funding comes from the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation, which distributed SEK 150 million for the development of films and advanced dome technology. As much as SEK 70 million went to Visualisation Center C, which is a consortium where LiU is included together with Norrköping Municipality, Norrköping Science Park and RISE.
Caption from the film Making Magic produced by Visualiseringscenter C in Norrköping.
Starting from Norrköping, there is now also a Wisdome theatre in Umeå. And in Malmö, Gothenburg, and Stockholm, dome theaters will be opened in the coming years.
The Fulldome Festival in Brno is one of the most significant in the world. Here, content managers for dome theaters and developers from different parts of the world meet. And now the film is going to hit this market. The film premiered in the autumn of 2020, in Norrköping, but due to the pandemic, the screenings were closed. Visualisation Center C in Norrkoping is now open with film screenings for a maximum of 25 people at a time. The center recommends booking a ticket in advance as many shows are sold out in the future.
- 16/05/2022 - Innsbruck supports partner university in Ukraine
- 04/05/2022 - Students at the Comon Make-a-Ton in Ghent come up with innovative healthcare solutions
- 19/04/2022 - The University of Exeter prepares for the launch of a new Community Partnership Hub
- 07/04/2022 - Research for the development of the last mile by public transport in Magdeburg
- 31/03/2022 - University students come up with a game to bring tourism to Málaga’s districts
- 24/03/2022 - The City and University of Málaga work together to excavate the “Cerro del Villar”
- 17/03/2022 - Timisoara and Lublin mobilise to support Ukrainian refugees
- 10/03/2022 - MagdeMINT: Technology and Natural Sciences for Young People
- 03/03/2022 - A student perspective on the EUniverCities meeting in Parma
- 17/02/2022 - Linköping University students coach upper secondary students in Swedish
- 10/02/2022 - Lausanne city and university work together on “Gender and the City”
- 03/02/2022 - News from Lublin
- 01/02/2022 - Innsbruck kicks off new “House of Physics”
- 28/12/2021 - EUniverCities Network Meeting in Parma
- 28/12/2021 - The report of 3 years of Secretariat managed by Parma
- 23/12/2021 - A handbook on strategic city-university partnerships at European scale
- 11/12/2021 - West University of Timisoara – International Conference on Universities Responses to Digitalisation
- 28/11/2021 - Spaces for studying, Parma Città Universitaria and city associations for university students
- 21/11/2021 - The final program of the EUniverCities Meeting in Parma
- 19/11/2021 - University of Malaga and the Malaga City Council sign a new agreement
- 09/11/2021 - From Magdeburg: Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences signs the Global Climate Letter
- 27/10/2021 - Visualisation Center C at Campus Norrköping awarded at international film festival
- 19/10/2021 - New updates from Lublin!
- 13/10/2021 - From Lausanne: “Sauvageons en ville” - Discovering nature in the city in surprising places, questioning the links we have with it and experimenting with ways to make the city wilder.
- 04/10/2021 - Next EUniverCities meeting in Parma: 1-3 December
- 30/09/2021 - Aurora Talks: Perspectives for Europe! Universität Innsbruck in conversation with Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn
- 28/09/2021 - The Company by Gentrepreneur
- 18/09/2021 - Exeter in new £7m consortium to boost nature’s impact on health inequalities
- 06/09/2021 - West University of Timișoara launches a new Artificial Intelligence HUB: “Timișoara Research in Artificial Intelligence Network (TRAIN)”
- 26/07/2021 - Parma University City: here are the results of the research conducted by the University on students
- 21/07/2021 - Some updates from Malaga: an artificial intelligence (AI) initiative and an "Entrepreneurial University"
- 18/07/2021 - Innsbruck reads – again!
- 13/07/2021 - Magdeburg backs Education for Sustainable Development
- 05/07/2021 - Some UPDATES from Lublin!
- 28/06/2021 - Career support programme offers an opportunity for an ever-growing Swedish job-market
- 22/06/2021 - #EUniverCitiesTalks #3
- 19/06/2021 - Award « Prix de la Ville de Lausanne » 2021
- 15/06/2021 - Coordination, Response and Networked Resilience (CORNER) in Trondheim
- 03/06/2021 - Ghent Hub helps education to tackle social inequality in learning
- 31/05/2021 - Online Meeting of Timisoara – final program
- 28/05/2021 - #sciencematters - 15th LONG NIGHT OF SCIENCE MAGDEBURG DIGITAL streams 18 hours of live program on three channels
- 27/05/2021 - The University of Exeter extends its business support to the whole region
- 25/05/2021 - WUT2023 for TM2023
- 10/05/2021 - Online Meeting of Timisoara – first draft program
- 08/05/2021 - Malaga: 1st. University campus to face depopulation in rural areas
- 03/05/2021 - Ambassadors of Legality
- 26/04/2021 - SCHAUWERK
- 12/04/2021 - Two new initiatives from Lublin!
- 06/04/2021 - Störningsfri stad - Visualized construction traffic planning for a city development without interference of construction traffic
- 25/03/2021 - Pilot test of pedestrian cameras (bodycam) in the canton of Vaud and in the city of Lausanne.